Join us for 2 weeks of culture and fun with Kiri Dewes, Maori elder, story teller, historian, comedian, dostinguished international poet, linguist, wise woman, community leader, and mentor.
We will be staying in either cabins/ units or where possible, the Maraes of the Maori people, which are their community centres and meeting places, giving us a real connection to the original people of New Zealand.
Highlights of the trip:
- Kiri’s expertise in her homeland
- Visit the Whangara marae where “Whale Rider” movie was filmed
- Hopefully meet Pauline Tangiora, one of the 13 grandmothers and featured in “Whale Dreamers” movie
- Visit the cheapest and best bone and pounamu (NZ green jade) carving centre in Te Kauahata
- See 10 metre high Maori rock carving on Lake Taupo by boat
- Visit Lake Rotopounau, the Earth’s water spinner wheel
- See the Kaimanawa Wall, identical to Andean stone walls of Peru
- Soak in pools of hot water in the beach sand
- Mud baths, geysers and hot springs
- Maori cultural performance and story telling
- Whale ceremony at the cemetery where hundreds of whales beached themselves
- Walk through Waipoua forest with the largest Kauri trees in the world and see the “Lord of the Forest” estimated to be over 2,000 years old with a girth of over 13 metres and height of 51 metres.
PLUS MUCH MORE….. Email me from the contact page for itinerary and prices etc.